MicroTrak300 -- is a small 300mW transmit-only APRS tracker. It is available from Byonics.
A 2-meter FM transmitter combined with a TinyTrak 3 controller chip that provides an easy and inexpensive way to build a small APRS tracker. Just plug in a GPS receiver, and track!
- No need to tie up an expensive radio for APRS tracking
- No complicated radio cabling
- Simple 2 wire GPS connection
- Supports all the latest TinyTrak3 features.
Micro-Trak 300 is available on 144.800 MHz, transmits 300 mW and is sold as a built and tested unit.
The Micro-Trak 300 PCB measures 82 x 25 mm. Because of its small size and light weight it is ideal for portable and airborne operations.
An on-board 5 volt regulator provides an optional 200 mA power output for your GPS receiver. (Many applications, including the use of the device with hand-held GPS units, will not require the 5 volt output of the Micro-Track.) The entire system runs well on 9-15 volts DC, and draws only about 10 milliamps in standby, and increases to 180 milliamps during transmissions (which last approximately 1/3 of a second using MIC-E). This provides for a very efficient battery-powered package. The transmitter will typically run for about 25 hours on a nine-volt battery with 2 minute check-ins.
A male DB-9 connector and a 9V battery cable are included, but not soldered to the board. The DB-9 connector can be wedged in to form a temporary connection during configuration (with a null modem gender changer) if desired.
The Micro-Trak can connect to a standard GPS receiver directly through the DB9 connector, but it is important to remember that computer programming and communication uses a reversed connection, meaning you will need a female to female Null modem cable, or a null modem adaptor and a gender-changer connector for programming your Micro-Trak.
Note: Micro-Trak 300 is a transmitter only. It does not receive radio signals, and therefore may occasionally transmit over other stations. This is normally not a problem due to the power level of the MicroTrak 300.
- Transmit power: 300mW (24.7dBm) nominal
- Operating frequency: 144.390 MHZ , or 144.800 MHZ
- Supply range: 9-15 VDC
- Current consumption: 180mA nominal transmit
- Data rate: 300, 1200 Baud AFSK
- Modulation bandwidth @ -3dB 3 KHz
- TX select to full RF <5 ms
- RF Power Output +25.7 dBm (max)
- Spurious emissions -40 dBm
- FM Deviation 3.5 kHz (Peak)
- PCB Dimensions 1 X 3.3 Inches
- Weight < 1 ounce
- Operating temperature: -10°C to +60°C
- Storage temperature: -30°C to +70°C