Yaesu VX-8R -- full 5 watts FM on 50/144/430 MHz plus 1.5 watts on 222 MHz. It supports Bluetooth® hands-free operation with the optional BU-1 and BH-1 or BH-2 accessories. There is also an optional GPS unit and antenna with loads of features. This radio supports APRS 1200/9600 bps data communication (B band only). Like the VX7R, the VX8R is submersible and meets IPX57 specifications (3 feet for minimum of 30 minutes). A powerful 7.4 V 1100 mAh Lithium Ion battery is included. This HT is small, intuitive to operate only 2.36 x 3.74 x 0.92 inches (thinner than VX-7R). It supports simultaneous independent 2-signal dual receive function with both V + V or U + U. It has weather band receive with Weather Alert. A barometric sensor is included. You can even operate Amateur radio while receiving FM broadcasts! The receive coverage is wider than VX-7R, with an independent AM/FM broadcast receiver circuit. The dot matrix LCD display provides Memory tag up to a maximum of 16 characters. You even get a high-resolution Spectrum Analyzer with ±60 channels indication with wave monitoring of received/modulated signal! And DCS and CTCSS encode and decode is standard.
The VX-8R comes with the SMA antenna, FNB-101LI Lithium Ion battery pack, belt clip and NC-86B battery charger. (The NC-86B should only be used for receive, because it is not capable of supplying sufficient current to support transmit).
A Technology Break Through
Bluetooth Hands-Free Operation with GPS/APRS and Real RF-Dual Wideband Receive… The next generation Amateur Handheld transceiver from Yaesu, who has been introducing Leading-Edge Transceiver Technology for years.
- Ultra Compact -- Measures a mere 2.4"W x 3.7"H x 0.9"D for comfortable in the palm use. Filled with advance technologies designed for outdoor operation - submersible and shockproof!
- Heavy Duty...Yet Easy to Operate -- The large main dial and the four durable independant key buttons on the side permit easy operation... even when wearing gloves.
- Ultra-rugged -- Polycarbonate resin front panel with aluminum die-cast chassis - absolutely tougher than tough.
- Submersible -- Take your VX-8R out with you wherever you go. It is waterproof 3Ft (1m) for 30 minutes. The radio is designed to meet commercial grade standards in every aspect, including its battery terminals, external microphone jack etc.
- Powerful Li-Ion battery -- Enjoy up to 5 hours operation on 144/440MHz, or up to 5.5 hours on 50MHz with the supplied FNB-101LI battery. The optional FNB-102LI high capacity battery will provide up to 8.5 hours operation on 144MHz, 9 hours on 50MHz, and 8 hours on 440MHz.
- Large Dot Matrix Display -- Measuring about 1.3"W x 0.8"H, the large LCD display provides clear, easy-to-read indication of both Main and Sub-band frequencies, operating mode, and S-meters for both bands. Display can be customized to include pictorial icons or the input voltage. Engaging the Spectrum Scope function, the high-resolution display will indicate relative signal strengths on adjacent channels up to +/-50 channels!
- Integrated APRS Operation -- APRS ® allows you to communicate your location to other APRS ® stations with your location, speed, and heading displayed on your radio! The VX-8R supports 1200/9600bps APRS ® data communications (B band only). Access the worldwide standard APRS ® system to exchange your positions and messages. The optional FGPS-2 unit is required automatically display your station information. When you receive signals and information from other APRS stations, the VX-8R displays their positions, heading directions, messages, distances, icons (43 available), weather information, object etc. *APRS ® is a registered trademark of Bob Bruninga WB4APR
- Optional GPS Operation -- The optional GPS Antenna Unit FGPS-2, which is based on a 12-channel receiver, provides GPS data. You may display your exact current position (latitude / Longitude), heading direction, moving speed, altitude etc. The optional FGPS-2 can be attached to the radio using the microphone input jack so that you may simultaneously enjoy total Hands-Free Operation using the optional Bluetooth headset, even though your radio is attached to your backpack, belt etc...
- Bluetooth® Capabilities -- The Bluetooth® capabilities widely know and utilized among users and enthusiasts of the FTM-10R/SR, are also available with the VX-8R. The optional Bluetooth® Unit BU-1 makes it possible to operate hands-free with the optional water Bluetooth® headset BH-1 (stereo) or BH-2 (monaural). Also enjoy your favorite FM broadcasts in stereo with the optional Bluetooth stereo headset (BH-1) and earphone (FEP-1)!
- Real Dual Ham Band Operation (V+V/U+U/V+U) -- With two independant Amateur band recievers, listen to either the same or different bands simultaneously.
- Dual Band AF Dual Monitor -- Listen to AM or FM radio stations while monitoring two HAM frequency channels! Two independant Amateur Band Receivers will allow you to listen to your favorite AM or FM broadcast station and monitor two different amateur bands ("Band A" and "Band B") at the same time.
- Wide Band Receiver -- Covers from 500kHz to 999.990MHz, continuous reception for Short-wave, FM/AM broadcasts, analog TV stations, audio aircraft, public service channels etc.. (Cellular band blocked)
- AM and FM Reception -- The VX-8R has a completely independant AM/FM broadcast receiver and an internal bar antenna for better AM broadcast broadcast reception. Listen to FM broadcast in stereo with your stereo headset/earphone!
- Built-in Barometric Pressure and Temperature Sensor -- The radio can monitor and display the temperature, pressure, altitude or any combination of these.
- Additional features -- Memory stations may be displayed to 16 digit Alpha-numeric tags - CW Training - Emergency Automatic ID system - Emergency Strobe/Beep and Busy strobe LED functions